Last Weekend in Dublin – by Samantha Herlihy

Hi everyone! I hope the weather at home is warmer than it is here! I’m sure you already know what an AMAZING experience each and every one of us is having here in Ireland, but I may as well mention it again; this program is incredible!

This past Saturday while most people traveled to Kerry and Belfast, a small group of us made a visit to the nearby Hill of Tara and Newgrange, in County Meath. Newgrange is a beautiful area with a history predating that of both Stonehenge and the Pyramids of Giza! Following the trip to Newgrange, our tour took us to the quaint little fishing village, Howth – with incredible views of Ireland and the Irish Sea; it was a great way to start off our last weekend here in Dublin.

This week we have all started working with our individual professors. We are all in the process of getting topics approved and beginning our final literature review. So far, the professors are extremely helpful and knowledgeable! We have been handed a wide variety of classes at UConn, but research is certainly new to all of us.

Today, most of us visited the Book of Kells and the Trinity Library. It was really interesting to see the Book of Kells, but the highlight of the visit was definitely the Long Room of the Library. Following Trinity, we visited the Jameson Distillery here in Dublin. Personally, I liked it much more than the Guinness Storehouse because it was a guided tour. Also, some people got to participate in a taste testing at the end of the tour.

Although the weekends in Dublin are behind us, I have to say that I am so excited to travel to Galway this weekend. I think I speak for everyone when I say that I am so grateful for every opportunity offered here, and am looking forward to what lies ahead!