Half Way Point – by Elizabeth Schilling

Even after two weeks of being in Ireland, I must remind myself that I am finally here! I remember receiving emails months ago, I would think it was months away but really the trip came super quick! I was nervous about leaving my family and boyfriend but I knew I had to push myself to go! I assumed that everyone on this trip already knew each other because they had all started the nursing program together but to my surprise most everyone was meeting for the first time! I can’t get over how close we have all become in just two weeks. It has been an amazing trip so far, the places we have gone and the friendships I have made will be memories I will never forget.

Saturday we went on the Ring of Kerry tour, which was incredible!  Sunday we had a very low key, relaxing day to recover from our 18-hour adventure the day before. We went food shopping, which seems to be something the people in Ireland do often. A few of us went to the gym and we finished the night with dinner and dessert.

Today we had class from 11am-1pm with Dr. Lafferty who spoke to us about elder abuse. The elderly population is rising in Ireland and the HSE is working on increasing awareness of elder abuse to help prevent this heartbreaking issue. I couldn’t help but think and worry about my 90-year-old grandmother. I always pray that she is taken care of and vow to treat every patient I have as if he/she is my grandmother.

Later in the day, we went to Professor Evans’ (or Heather as we call her in Ireland) beautiful home she is staying in! She cooked us pasta with the choice of meat or vegetarian sauce and the most delicious home made garlic bread! We were starving when we got there but we left feeling very full. It was really nice to have a huge dinner together. We were able to hang out and just talk with each other without being in a public environment restricted by sitting at different tables.

Now, we are all working on our literature reviews for our research class. Today, five of us met with Declan Patton who is our advisor for our project. He spent time with us not only discussing work but also getting to know us better. We spoke about our heritage and where our ancestors were from. It was nice to establish a connection with him and know we can go to him with any questions about the project (or for directions to the best pubs).

I am looking forward to the next two weeks! We have some great things planned. Tomorrow, a few of us will go to see Trinity College and over the weekend we will go to Galway!

Dublin

5 thoughts on “Half Way Point – by Elizabeth Schilling

1. I only know your professor over the phone and am happy to learn he is so great in person. Anne Bavier

2. I really enjoy reading all of your posts. As I am a geriatric NP, I am happy to know about some of the issues you are learning about for the care and consideration of the elderly in Ireland. One of my friends from Ireland told me about the “night angels” who would come from the local hospital and care for her elderly mother at home in the evening and put her to bed. It sounds like a great form of home care we could use here–perhaps someone could find out more about this if you get the opportunity. Have a wonderful rest of your experience. Safe Travels–MM

3. It is great that you are beginning your research literature reviews. I hope the course instils a love of research. Ireland is a beautiful country and your world view will be changed with this opportunity.
    Dean Cusson